I've used a combination of Yahoo pipes and a free service, notify.me, to receive all of my @replies via SMS. A few notes about my method:
- You can configure your updates to come as any combination of the following: SMS, email or IM. This tutorial focuses on SMS.
- Since we're using Yahoo pipes to create the RSS feed of all the @replies there is a bit of lag between the actual Twitter @ reply and the notification.
- The Yahoo pipe that we are using catches all @replies, not just ones that start with @reply ie: "great link from @jennykortina"
To receive all of your Twitter @replies via SMS:
- Head over to this Yahoo Pipe
- Enter your Twitter username in the field and click the "Run Pipe" button
- After the pipe is done running, click the "Get as RSS" button
- A new window will be loaded with your RSS feed. Copy the RSS link from the navigation bar
- Head over to notify.me and register for a new account
- Configure each notification method that you would like to use: SMS, Email, and IM
- Click the "Sources" tab
- Paste your Yahoo Pipe RSS feed from step 4 into feed box and click the "Add Feed" button
- The field will appear in the blue box below the "Add Feed" section. Click on the buttons for the type of notifications you would like to receive. In my case, I only have SMS selected.
You now will get all of your Twitter @ replies as SMS messages to your phone. Like I said earlier, there is a slight delay between the time the actual @ reply message is posted and when you get the SMS, but it's worth the wait!