URL shorteners are a useful tool when sending emails. Not only are long links unsightly, they often break inside email clients becoming useless. I use Gmail for my email client and was delighted to see that bit.ly introduced an application that provides a URL shortener right inside Gmail.
To install bit.ly's URL shortener:
- Go to Settings > Labs
- Scroll down to the very bottom and click the radio button to enable "Add any gadget by URL"
- Click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page
- You should now have a gadgets tab at the top of the settings page. Click it.
- In the "Add a gadget by its URL:" box paste this link:
- Congratulations you now have a URL shortener application right inside Gmail!