After a month's use this is what I've learned (if you guys have any cool tips please let me know):
- Get the firefox plugin immediately.
- Don't be afraid to make new tags. When I first started using del.icio.us I wanted to keep my tags to a minimum so they would be easier to search. It's actually much easier to assign each link with a few tags because you can search it for it easier (There is a heiarchly search system. If I had something tagged both design and photo, I could first click my design tag and then click my photo tag and only things with both tags will come up).
- Use your friends. Look at what you friends are reading or subscribe to a feed of their links by going to their delicious page at: http://del.icio.us/your friend's user name
- Send links to your friends have links sent to you. Use the tag "for:your friend's user name" when you find something interesting and it will appear in their inbox the next time your friend logs into their account and will remain there until they look at it.
- Use del.icio.us as a search engine. If you want information on "baseball" search for baseball in del.icio.us. If del.icio.us pulls it up other PEOPLE have tagged "baseball." By using del.icio.us as a search engine you are provided with one more filter (which is a human) and you know the content is more relevant than a Google search for the same term (after all Google does get paid to rank sites higher that may or may not
- If you have a blog use the "auto publish my del.icio.us bookmarks" option (there will be a post on how to do this sometime this weekend or next week).
- Check out 150 del.icio.us hacks here. Pretty good resource for those of with our own webpages, blogs, myspace, or facebook page.